Thursday, July 21, 2011

J.P. Rosciglione



You can see the white cross better in this Google Earth image. Sorry for my terrible photo!

This was one of the first memorials I noticed on my morning commute to St. Charles on I-370W. It took me a while before I was able to make out the name on the memorial, and finally I thought to snap a quick pic whilst driving by since the idea of pulling over on the side of 370 gives me the heeby jeebies!! The memorial itself is a simple white cross with his name on the horizontal portion and the word "Colts" written on the top part with their horseshoe logo. Apparently the victim was a fan of Indianapolis Colts football.

This memorial is for John "J.P." Rosciglione. He was struck by a drunk driver while on his way home from work on February 5th, 2005, westbound on 370 near the Mills Mall exit. He was headed to a friends house to play cards when another driver struck the back of his Nissan Pathfinder, causing J.P.'s car to roll over and impact the median. Poor J.P. was ejected from the car and landed on the other side of the highway where he was hit by a minivan and a tractor trailer heading eastbound. I pray that he died quickly and with minimal pain...

Photo source: www.bpusastl.org/images/Newsletters/Webcopies/BPStL_J-F_06.pdf

I see his memorial every single day on my way to work now. I began to wonder who he was and what sort of person he was like.... so I read some news stories online. In one such article, he was described as having a "big heart" by his family. His father, Jay Rosciglione said, "J.P. was the son every father dreams of having. His sister said he was "the life of the party." How tragic that he had to perish like this...reminds me of the importance wearing a seat belt. Seems like most of the victims who are ejected from a vehicle are without seat belts. Of course airbags play a significant role in saving lives but perhaps due to the nature of J.P.'s accident, even the airbags couldn't save him. Seemed like it was an older vehicle and once airbags deploy, they cannot be redeployed as far as I know...Oh well, this is just speculation on my part, and not the purpose of my blog. But I definitely think of him everytime I drive past....


J.P.'s 1998 Nissan Pathfinder post-accident:
Truly terrible! And unfortunately the man responsible for this only got two years in prison after he fled the scene of the accident. If it weren't for witness testimony, the drunk driver might have gotten away with this!

New Story
An older one, so whole article isn't available but here's the gist of it:
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-9304367/Driver-in-fatal-crash-gets.html



J.P. is survived by his mother, father, sister, and other numerous family members. His family owns a bakery in St. Charles called Rosciglione Bakery and his father, Jay Rosciglione, was a power weight lifter. I am sure his family holds him in their hearts and treasures their memories of him dearly.





Rest in peace, J.P.



1 comment:

  1. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was the witness who was on the phone with highway patrol when it happened, who jumped the median, who described the vehicle and still can to this day, who is pissed the driver only got 2 years and didn't serve it all.

    ReplyDelete